Top 10 Albums of 2007

Go down

Top 10 Albums of 2007

Post  Riley on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:44 pm

My Favorite Albums of the Year

1. Challengers (New P's)--Starts off strongly and doesn't let up. Not as catchy as their previous releases, but deeper and more moving. Newman is as clever as ever, and Bejar, as usual, has something big to say.

1. (tied) Or Give me Death (Aqueduct)--Also known as The Catchiest Album Ever Recorded. He's no genius, but the indignant anger present in this album really sticks in your head. Some of the lyrics could use revision, but it's SOOO singalongable...

3. Armchair Apocrypha (Andrew Bird)--A clever, catchy masterpiece by everyone's favorite musical anarchist. It's like a wiggly ancient sea slug.

3. (tied) Grand Animals (Robbers on High Street)--Just plain unabashed pop. Not afraid to be at once catchy and cerebral. A bunch of New Yorkers who sound a bit like Spoon but (I hate to say it) better.

5. Hissing Fauna (Of Montreal)--More funk than psychedelia, but still Of Montreal's best album other than SPITA. Gronlandic Edit is the funniest pop song ever. "Physics makes us all its bitches!"

6. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Spoon)--Experimental, echoey Spoon is not nearly as cool as badass, head-nodding Spoon (The Ghost of You Lingers is one of my least-favorite Spoon songs), but it's a well-written, well-produced album anyway.

7. Tones of Town (Field Music)--Cool falsetto-filled prog pop by the original drummer of The Futureheads and his new band. Not quite as good as their self-titled album, but still great.

8. Destroyer's Rubies (Destroyer)--I don't think anything could top Your Blues, and I'm not a huge fan of the Nashville influence, but Bejar's skill as a songwriter keeps on improving. And I'm glad he finally has a full band.

9. The Flying Club Cup (Beirut)--Influenced, as I've said, more by French artisans than by Latvian nomads. This is a good thing. He's still annoyingly fond of the 3/4 time signature. But he's a better songwriter this time around.

10. Candylion (Gruff Rhys)--Like a bunch of really good Super Furries B-sides, but more cuddly.

Honorable Mentions:

Release the Stars (Rufus Wainwright)--Okay, sometimes he sounds like Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge, but who really cares? He's a musical genius. Just listen to Track 1 and you'll be hooked. I don't care so much for the slower stuff, though. This album is mostly on here for the first five or six tracks.

New Moon (Elliott Smith)--I'm not so into Elliott's stuff from this era. It seems sacrilegious to bump an Elliott Smith album off the top 10, but there it is.

New Magnetic Wonder (The Apples in Stereo)--They're not nearly as good as I used to think, and they're kind of trying to be the new Strokes, but this album is catchy and experimental and it's not so annoyingly "60's pop!" as their older ones.

Reunion Tour (The Weakerthans)--They're starting to sound disturbingly like Good Charlotte or something, but as a lyricist John K Samson will never let me down.

So how about yours?
Riley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top 10 Albums of 2007

Post  Riley on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:49 am

Fine. Nobody tell me yours. Fine.
Riley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joey on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:39 pm

Take out Beirut, RoHS, Field Music, and Gruff Rhys. There's a good chance some of them might be in there when I hear them.

Add Human the Death Dance (Sage Francis), New Moon (Elliott Smith), Situation (Buck 65), and Heroes and Thieves (Vanessa Carlton), even though I've never heard it.

Put Situation near the top. I don't want to take the time to actually figure out the order though.
Joey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter P. Jeeves III on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:20 am

Honestly, I only bought one album that came out in 2007. All my other purchases were older. So I guess it will be my entire list.

1. In Our Bedroom After the War - Stars

To this, I'm adding the album I just bought.

2. Hey Eugene! - Pink Martini

Last edited by on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Walter P. Jeeves III

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I already wrote this on Facebook

Post  E-Dawg on Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:22 pm

Alright, these are not in any special order

1. Obviously I'm going to start with the fact that fitty cent dropped a hot new peice this year...it is da shiat.

Anyway,

1. Wincing the Night Away-The Shins: I loved 'Oh Inverted World', I liked 'Chutes Too Narrow' and I again love Wincing the Night Away. It's a cleaner sounding, more full Shins sound. At first listen it's a little dissapointing because the sound isn't exactly the 'old Shins' after awhile you start to appreciate the fact that they have matured.

2.Armchair Apocrypha-Andrew Bird: The c.d that you can listen to at any time and for any mood.

3. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga: It's not Gimme Fiction, but it's still Spoon.

4.The Flying City Club Cub-Beirut: I have only listened to Beirut since the beginning of the summer so I am still entranced by the instruments and Zach Conden's voice. It still resembles the sound I love on Lon Gisland but somehow keeps it's own style.

5. The Shepard's Dog-Iron & Wine: I like this c.d for Sam Beam's voice, It soothes me, it keeps me quiet in the face of all that is evil. With that said I don't like it as much as our Endless Numbered Days. Beam tries to step up the complexity on the album but with this he drops the sound that made me love Iron & Wine.

6. Challengers- The New P's- Yeah I just referred to them as 'The New P's'

7. Hissing Fauna Are You The Destroyer?-of Montreal- of Montreal released this c.d to fans like me that were expecting the same high energy music that you love to drive and sing to. Hissing Fauna does not dissapoint, it has even more energy the previous of Montreal endeavor Sunlandic Twins. It is my favorite even above S.P.I.T.A.

8. Oh and Riley reminded me that Kanye's new joint 'Graduation' was off the hizook this year.

Again these are not in any order and not the only c.d's that are great from this year.
E-Dawg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down