Fruitcake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Walt's Choice List

2 posters

Go down

Walt's Choice List Empty Walt's Choice List

Post  Walter P. Jeeves III Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:42 am

I want to avoid tons of topics for all the different books I could talk about, so this will be my collective literary thread for the time. If you've read any book mentioned in this thread, please offer your opinion and analysis. While my loathing of literary analysis papers is unprecedented, I enjoy discussing books.

To get it started, my all time favorite books:

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
This is the fictional life story and spiritual journey of a young man in India. It is a moving tale spanning all natures of life--denial, scholarship, hedonism, depression and ultimately transcendence.

Innumeracy by John Allen Paulos
A humorous and enlightening investigation of the numerical version of illiteracy. This nonfiction book is a good guide to healthy skepticism and a tribute to the power of mathematics. It isn't as dry as you might think.

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
The most engaging science fiction book I have read. Epic and touching at the same time, this book was the literary highlight of my childhood. Part of His Dark Materials trilogy (a re-visioning of Paradise Lost) all of which are good. The sequels do not compare to the Golden Compass though.

Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Waterson
Any collection will do. I own them all. The best comic ever written, without a doubt.

Last edited by on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Walter P. Jeeves III
Walter P. Jeeves III

Back to top Go down

Walt's Choice List Empty The Life of Pi

Post  Walter P. Jeeves III Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:46 am

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
A good novel I read recently. The Life of Pi is the story of a polytheistic indian boy trapped at sea for 227 days with a bengal tiger. The conclusion is one to make you think about the power and role of stories.

Edit: This is no longer my all time favorite list, but instead good books I have read recently.
Walter P. Jeeves III
Walter P. Jeeves III

Back to top Go down

Walt's Choice List Empty Re: Walt's Choice List

Post  Riley Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:53 am

Unfortunately, I haven't read any of those...
Riley
Riley

Back to top Go down

Walt's Choice List Empty Re: Walt's Choice List

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum